Saturday, April 28, 2012

Trickle Down Theory

After speaking about the trickle down theory in class the other day, it got me wondering why on earth I have spent so much money on designer products. I have around 20 pairs of designer jeans, and 10 designer purses.

I don't have that kind of money! Why would a college student spend such money on an item?!

I think of all the things I could use $300.00 on, and am almost ashamed at myself for wasting that much money in the past. Listening to the trickle down theory being explained in class, I began to wonder what pushed me to buy these high-end items.

Main reason, I wanted to stay up with the "fashion" of the time period. I think many girls (and some boys) let their friends influence the amount of money they spend, which isn't always good when people do not come from the same money situation. Some people around the country are able to spend that amount of money daily, while others have to save up for a year.

One random thing I found interesting had to do with the cultural difference in designer wants/needs. When a student was explaining that in China, everyone has designer products... No matter what. I thought that was interesting, because many people in our culture do not partake in spending such money.

Maybe there is a huge difference in price across the world (which I am not sure of because I have never visited), but these last individual wikis taught me to start saving my money instead of following trends.




No comments:

Post a Comment